||MINUTES OF THE PABMB COUNCIL MEETING
July 20, 2016
PABMB officers and delegates met for the Council Meeting on Wednesday 20, July 2016 at 2:00 PM in Vancouver Convention Center during the joint XVI IUBMB Conference / XIII PABMB Congress / 59th CSMB Congress, in Vancouver (Canada). PABMB Chairman, Hugo Maccioni, chaired the meeting.
Hugo Maccioni (Chairman PABMB); Sergio Grinstein (Vice-Chairman PABMB), Jorge Babul (Past Chairman PABMB), Carlos Argaraña (Treasurer PABMB), Bianca Zingales (Secretary General PABMB), José Luis Daniotti (Delegate of Sociedad Argentina de Investigación en Bioquímica y Biología Molecular), Sergio Lavandero (Past President of Sociedad de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular de Chile), Alicia Kowaltowski (Delegate of Sociedade Brasileira de Bioquímica e Biología Molecular), Ana Cristina Rego (Delegate of Sociedad Portuguesa de Bioquímica) and Federico Mayor Menéndez (President of Sociedad Española de Bioquimica y Biología Molecular).
Representatives of the Canadian Society for Biochemistry, Molecular and Cellular Biology; Sociedad Mexicana de Bioquímica; Asociación Panameña de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular; Sociedad Química del Perú; American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology; American Chemical Society/Division of Biological Chemistry; Sociedad Uruguaya de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular; Sección Cubana de Bioquímica y Biologia Molecular; Sociedad Cubana de Química.
The Committee Meeting Agenda was informed on April 25, 2016 (see ANNEX I).
- The meeting began with the welcome given by the Chairman and self introduction of the participants.
► Bianca Zingales presented the initiatives undertaken by the PABMB Executive Committee in the period November 2013 – December 2014, under the presidency of Jorge Babul and in the period January 2015 – June 2016, under the presidency of Hugo Maccioni.
► The support to PABMB Plenary lectures held in annual meetings of PABMB Constituent and Adherent Societies and in IUBMB and FEBS meetings was discriminated as well as support to fellowships for young scientists to attend meetings, courses and workshops (see ANNEX II).
► In the years 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2015 PABMB participated together with IUBMB and ASBMB in the PROLAB (Promoting Research Opportunities for Latin American Biochemists) program aimed at fostering interactions among biochemists in Latin America, Portugal and Spain with those in the United States. The specific objective of PROLAB is the support of graduate and post-doctoral students and young investigators from countries active in the PABMB, to spend short stays (1-6 months) in the laboratory of a scientist affiliated with ASBMB (average stipend 5,000 USD/fellowship). The list of 2016 fellowships winners is given in ANNEX III.
Additional actions in the period:
- On April 9 2015 the PABMB charter registration (formerly in Mexico City since December 4th, 1975) was moved to The Ministry of Government and Services, Ontario, Canada, under the Ontario Corporation Number 1870826;
- an account was opened in Scotiabank in Canada to facilitate the receiving and sending out of PABMB funds;
- an agreement was signed with the Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, affiliated to the Canadian Society for Molecular Biosciences, to become the official journal of PABMB;
- the PABMB Education Committee was constituted, with members from Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Portugal and Uruguay.
- The XIII PABMB Congress was held in Vancouver, Canada, July 17-21, 2016, as a joint activity with the XVI IUBMB Conference and the 59th Congress of the Canadian Society of Molecular Biosciences
The participants commended the activities and asked additional information on some topics.
► Carlos Argaraña presented (ANNEX IV) the Financial Report of PABMB (December 2013 – June 2016).
- Future initiatives
The Chairman commented that some PABMB Constituent Societies such as Sociedad Mexicana de Bioquímica; Asociación Panameña de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular and Sociedad Química of Perú, and the Associated Society – Sección Cubana de Bioquímica y Biologia Molecular and Sociedad Cubana de Química have a low participation in PABMB activities. He pointed out the need of promoting greater engagement of these Societies as well as the enrolment of additional Latin American Societies of Biochemistry and related sciences in PABMB. The attendants agreed with the suggestions and Jorge Babul offered to collaborate in these activities.
- Election of PABMB Secretary General (January 2017-December 2019)
The Chairman inquired the attendants if the Societies they represent had suggested candidates for this position. Given the negative response, the Chairman informed that the Sociedad Uruguaya de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular had indicated Dr. José Sotelo Silveira (Instituto de Investigaciones Biológicas “Clemente Estable”, Montevideo, Uruguay), former president of this Society, as a candidate for PABMB Secretary General. The election was opened and Dr. Sotelo was elected by unanimous vote of the delegates present.
- Report of the proposal of the Portuguese Biochemical Society for the 25th IUBMB Congress – XV PABMB Congress – FEBS Congress to be held in Lisbon, Portugal in 2021, presented by Miguel Castanho via Skype in the IUBMB Executive Committee Meeting.
The Chairman summarized the proposal and comments and suggestions that were provided by the attendees of IUBMB Executive Committee Meeting.
- The floor was opened to attending members and having no other issues to consider the meeting ended at 3:30 PM.
- Claudio Sunkel, Instituto de Biologia Celular e Molecular, University of Porto, Porto.Portugal.»Mechanisms of gentic stability during cell division». XIIPABMB Congress, November 9-14. Puerto Varas, Chile.
- Rosalba Lagos, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile «From genes to applications in antibacterial next generation therapy». FEBS-EMBO 2014 Conference, August 30 – September 4. Paris, France.
- Andrew FQ Quest, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Chile, Santiago de Chile, Chile.»Caveolin-1, a pleiotropic molecular switch in cancer development and progression» XXXVII Congreso de la SEBBM, September 9 -12. Granada- Spain.
- Gabriel Rabinovich. IBIME/IQUIBICEN/CONICET, FCEN, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina. «Regulatory circuits mediated by lectin-glycan interactions in chronic inflammation and cancer» XXXVII Anual Meeting, Sociedad de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular de Chile (SBBMCh). September 30 – October 04. Puerto Varas, Chile.
- Jose Viña, Faculty of Medicine, University of Valencia. Spain “Regulation of Gene Expression in Centenarians Reveals Specific Patterns that Explain Their Exceptional Longevity” XVIII Congress of the Portuguese Biochemical Society (SPB).December 17-20. Coimbra, Portugal.
- Alberto R. Kornblihtt, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina. «DNA damage and chromatin structure regulate alternative splicing through the control of RNA polymerase II elongation». FEBS 2015, 40th FEBS Congress: The Biochemical Basis of Life, July 4 – 9. Berlin, Germany.
- Bruce Alberts, University of California (San Francisco), USA. «The Critical Importance of Science Education for Society». 23rd Congress of the International Union for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (IUBMB) and 44th Annual Meeting of the Brazilian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, (SBBq), August 24-28. Foz do Iguaçu – Brazil.
- María do Carmo Fonseca, Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Univ. Lisboa, Portugal. «In vivo imaging of RNA processing: seeing is believing» XXXVIII Congreso de la SEBBM, September 7 – 10. Valencia, Spain.
- Melissa Moore, UMASS Medical School, U.S.A «Spliceosome and mRNP Structure, Function and Dynamics» XXXVIII Reunión Anual de la Sociedad de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular de Chile (SBBMCh), September 22 – 25. Puerto Varas. Chile.
- Rafael Silva-Rocha, Facultad de Medicina de RibeirãoPreto – USP, RibeirãoPreto, San Pablo, Brasil“From Systems to Synthetic Biology and back again: building new tools for biotechnological applications”. IX Jornadas de la Sociedad de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular de Uruguay (SUB), October 15-16. Montevideo. Uruguay
Year 2016 (Forthcoming Lecturers)
- Dr. Alicia J Kowaltowski (Instituto de Química – Universidade de São Paulo, Brasil) 41st Annual FEBS Congress. 03-08 September 2016. Aydin, Turkey [CANCELED]
- Dr. Roger J. Davis (University of Massachusetts Medical School; Howard Hugues Medical Institute, Boston, USA) XXXIX Congreso de la Sociedad Española de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular. 5-8 de Septiembre de 2016. Salamanca, Spain
- Dr. José L. Bocco (Universidad Nacional de Córdoba, Argentina) XXXIX Reunión Anual de la Sociedad de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular de Chile. 27-30 de Septiembre de 2016. Puerto Varas, Chile.
Travel Fellowships for young scientists
- Fellowships (19) for students assistance to the XII PABMB Congress held in Puerto Varas Chile.
- XLIII Reunião Anual da Sociedade Brasileira de Bioquímica e Biologia Molecular – SBBq. May 17-20, 2014.Foz do Iguaçu, Paraná, Brazil.
- «The 5thPan American Plant Membrane Biology Workshop» , June 1st-5th, 2015. . Coordinator: Dr. Lorena Narambena San Pedro de Atacama, Chile.
- «Third Biennial Workshop Emerging Concepts of the Neuronal Cytoskeleton» Coordinator: Dr. Christian Gonzalez-Billault. March 22-26, 2015, Puerto Varas, Chile.
- «56th International Conference on the Bioscience of lipids» 22-26 September 2015, Coordinator: Dra Beatriz Caputto. Puerto Iguazú, Misiones, Argentina.
2016 PROLAB Fellowship Winners